APPLICATION OF RADIO-WAVES COAGULATION TECHNIQUE FOR THE TREATMENT OF HEMANGIOMAS OF THE MAXILLOFACIAL AREA
Statistics of the last years indicates the significant incidence of vascular neoplasms, the most of which are located at the maxillofacial area – 68–80 %, multi sites simultaneously – 20%. According to histological signs the capillary tumors are 51%, cavernous – 42%, combined – 4%, mixed – 3% of cases.
Currently, in surgical dentistry, the problematic choice of new technical means and technologies that can increase the effectiveness of surgical treatment for the most common types of pathologies remains relevant.
Despite numerous methods of treatment for benign vascular tumors (surgical, radiation, cryosurgical, electrosurgical, laser, sclerotherapy), the results leave much to be desired, as many authors note a significant percentage of tumor recurrence, as well as complications during the operation. As a rule, they are characterized by multiple procedures and are not accompanied by a more radical removal of hemangiomatous tissues, in this connection constant seek for new methods of hemangiomas treatment for children and adults is provided.
At the same time, the expediency and effectiveness of radio wave coagulation remains an open question, as one of the latest among the high-tech methods of tissue dissection.
This publication presents the results of cavernous hemangiomas treatment for the maxillofacial area by radio-wave coagulation.
In all clinical cases, operations were performed practically with noninvasive technique. In the early postoperative period, there was a slight swelling of the tissues without the infiltration in the area of the wound. Healing process of the wound in all patients occurred below the crust, which persisted on average 7-10 days after the procedure, with the formation of the hardly noticeable scar, the shape, size and elasticity of which did not change during the first year of observation. The state of the scar in 52 cases (91%) was estimated as good (7-9 points according to the scale), in 5 (9%) – satisfactory (10-11 points according to the scale). A review in dynamics after 6 months allowed detecting recurrent disease in 4 patients (7%) with localization of hemangiomas in the scalp area, upper and lower lip. Recurrence cases of hemangiomas were noticed as small-spotted hemangiomatous lesions of the skin at the border of the tumor or in the area of the postoperative scarring, which were re-operated with a needle-shaped electrode of 0.02 mm in diameter.
The application of radiosurgical technique allows us to conclude that this is a tool to minimize the risk of intra- and postoperative complications and reduce the period of rehabilitation of patients.
Thus, the application of radio-wave coagulation for the treatment of maxillofacial hemangiomas is promising and allows us to discover the following advantages: greatly facilitates the work of the surgeon, reduces the traumatism and duration of surgical intervention; minimizes blood loss; reduces the percentage of postoperative complications; contributes to the formation of aesthetic scar.
The obtained data indicate the expediency of using the method of radio-wave coagulation in the treatment of cavernous hemangiomas of the maxillofacial area.
2. Диференційна діагностика судинних новоутворень ЩЛД у дітей для визначення тактики лікування / Л.В. Харьков, Л.М. Яковенко, Н.В. Кисельова [та ін.] // Галицький лікарський вісник. – 2015. – Т.22, №2. – С. 97-104.
3. The role of MRI in diagnostic algorithm of cervicofacial vascular anomalies in children / D. Wilmanska, A. Antosik-Biernacka, P. Przewratil [et al.] // Pol. J. Radiol. – 2013. – Vol. 78, N 2. – P. 7–14.
4. Мельник Д.Д. Гемангиомы и их лечение / Д.Д. Мельник. – Томск, 2006. – 140 с.
5. Харьков Л.В. Комплексное лечение гемангиом челюстно-лицевой области у детей / Л.В. Харьков, Н.В. Киселёва //Современная стоматология. – 2009. – №3. – С. 106-109.
6. Clinical and tactical approaches in the diagnosis of malignant tumors of maxillofacial area in children / Tkachenko P.I., Starchenko I.I., Belokon S.A. [et al.] // The New Armenian Medical Journal. – 2016. –Vol.10, N3. – Р. 27-33.
7. Anitha B. Scars in dermatology: Clinical significance / В. Anitha, S. Ragunatha, Arun C. Inamatar // Indian J. Dermatol. Venereol. Leprol. — 2009. — Vol. 74, Is. 4.
8. Омурзаков Б.А. Высокочастотная радиоволновая хирургия в лечении гемангиом и эпителиальных образований у детей / Б.А. Омурзаков, З.Ч. Абдырасулова // Вестник КРСУ. – 2009. – Т.9, № 10. – С. 161-163.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.