MODERN VIEWS ON TOOTH WHITENING
Resume. In the modern world, the appearance of teeth is of great importance. Beautiful white teeth are not only a sign of good health, but also an element of culture and well-being.
Definition, the individual natural color of the teeth is mainly determined by dentin, however, the color, transparency, thickness and degree of mineralization of the enamel affect the color of dentin. Any changes in dentin and enamel during the formation, development and after teething can cause changes in light guide properties, and accordingly, changes in color.
Purpose. Analysis of the sources of scientific and medical information about the features of tooth whitening by various methods and their effectiveness with the presentation of their own clinical examples. Methods. An analytical review of the literature on various methods of teeth whitening and indications and contraindications to these methods.
Results. There are different options for coloring teeth and they call as external and internal. A separate category of discolors is such as internalized staining, when external chromogens penetrate into the hard tissues of the tooth. Treatment of diseases and conditions accompanied by discoloration of the teeth is complex and may include therapeutic (occupational hygiene, whitening, restoration) and orthopedic measures. Teeth whitening is a chemical oxidation process in which the color of enamel and dentin changes from dark to light. Modern bleaching systems are based on the use of preparations of hydrogen peroxide or urea peroxide in combination with activating factors. Currently, the following main types of whitening systems are widely used in dental practice: for professional use in the clinic, for home use under the supervision of a doctor, for home use without a doctor's supervision, for example, whitening toothpastes, strips, pencils and standardized caps with gel inside. The work presents various options for teeth whitening from home to clinical and professional. Indications and contraindications to the teeth whitening procedure and its protocol are given. The analysis of the results of modern scientific research in dentistry shows that now it is possible to consider that professional whitening is effective. That is why the use of high-intensity blue diode light (LED) is quite promising, especially when eliminating deep tooth pigmentation. One of the most popular brands in the world of whitening is Philips Zoom system. The Philips Zoom WhiteSpeed lamp is a fundamentally new technology in which the manufacturer has used LEDs as a light source, which has made the teeth whitening process more comfortable and safe for the patient.
Conclusion. To date, researchers and manufacturers have created various well-functioning, safe and comfortable systems for whitening teeth. It is important to find various aspects of tooth whitening and possible hazards. Understanding the operation of various systems and awareness of their advantages and disadvantages will allow you to choose the most optimal system. A professional approach to teeth whitening guarantee success.
2. Lemeshko AV, Kovalenko VV, Vodoriz YaIu, Tkachenko IM. Vplyv riznykh metodiv vidbiliuvannia na strukturu tverdykh tkanyn zubiv. Aktualni problemy suchasnoi medytsyny. Visnyk Ukrainskoi medychnoi stomatolohichnoi akademii. 2019; 19(68): 136-40. (Ukrainian).
3. Vavilyuk A. Otbelivanie zubov: mifyi i faktyi. Institut stomatologii. 2008; 41: 56–7. (Russian).
4. Addy A, Morgan J, Newcombe R, Warren P. The comparative tea staining potential of phenolic, chlorhexidine and anti-adhesive mouthrinses. J. Clin. Periodontol. 1995; 22: 923-8.
5. Watts A, Addy M. Tooth discoloration and staining. Br. Dent. J. – 2001; 190: 309-16.
6. Tuati B, Miara P, Netenson D. Esteticheskaya stomatologiya i keramicheskie restavratsii: per s angl. M.: Vyisshee obrazovanie i nauka; 2004. (Russian).
7. Moroz KA. KarIEs I karIoznI urazhennya tverdih tkanin zubIv. VInnitsya: Nova Kniga; 2012. 240 s. (Russian).
8. Tredwin CJ, Scully C, Bagan-Sebastian JV. Drug-induced disorders of teeth. J. Dent. Res. 2005; Vol. 84; 7: 596–602.
9. Sulieman M. An overview of tooth discoloration: extrinsic, intrinsic and internalized stains. Dent. Update. 2005; 32(8): 463–4.
10. Sapir S. Differential diagnosis of tooth discoloration, staining and pigmentation. Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim. 2005; 22(2): 24–36.
11. Maksyukov SYu, Shahbazov OI, Gadzhieva DN, Kurbatova EV. Struktura sistemnyih i mestnyih prichin diskoloritov i demineralizatsii tverdyih tkaney zubov u lits molodogo vozrasta. Vestnyu novyih med. tehnologiy. 2012; 3: 114–6. (Russian).
12. Skripnikov PN, Muhina NS. Otbelivanie zubov. Poltava; 2002. (Russian).
13. Botelho MG, Chan AWK, Newsome PRH, McGrath CPJ, Lam YHW. A randomized controlled trial of home bleaching of tetracycline-stained. teeth, Journal of Dentistry 2017; 67: 29-35.
14. Llena C, Esteve I, Forner L. Effect of Hydrogen and Carbamide Peroxide in bleaching, Enamel Morphology, and Mineral Composition: In Vitro Study. J. Contemp. Dent. Pract. 2017; 18(7): 576-82.
15. Bardina GE, Lapina NP, Blinova AV, Bardin DA. Diskolorityi zubov: himiya vozniknoveniya i effektivnogo otbelivaniya. Rosiyskiy stomatologicheskiy zhurnal. 2018; 22(3): 124-8. (Russian).
16. Efremova EV. Sotsialnyie, klinicheskie i psihologicheskie aspektyi otbelivaniya zubov [dissertatsiya]. Moskva: Mosk. gos. med.-stomatolog. un-t; 2010. 21 s. (Russian).
17. Savel'ev PA. Sovershenstvovanie himicheskih metodov otbelivaniya pigmentirovannyh vital'nyh zubov putѐm povysheniya rezistentnosti emali i dentina [dissertaciya]. Stavropol': Stavrop. gos. med. akademiya; 2006. 21 s. (Russian).
18. Kriheli N. Klinicheskaya effektivnost' otbelivaniya zubov s ispol'zovaniem sistemy Philips Zoom! WhiteSpeed. Esteticheskaya stomatologiya. 2018; 1-2: 140-3. (Russian).
19. Luckaya IK. Osnovy esteticheskoj stomatologii. Minsk. Sovremennaya shkola. 2005; 332 s. (Russian).
20. Severina TV. Analiz effektivnosti otbelivaniya tverdyh tkanej zubov pri ispol'zovanii razlichnyh domashnih sistem. Med. alfavit. Stomatologiya. 2012; 3: 46–8. (Russian).
21. Terekhova NV. Klinicheskaya effektivnost' otbelivaniya vital'nyh zubov. Stomatologicheskij zhurnal. 2011; 3: 221-4. (Russian).
22. Haywood VB. Commonly asked questions about night-guard vital bleaching. Dent-Assist. 1996;65, 2.
23. Li Y, Greenwall L. Safety issues of toothwhitening using peroxide-based materials. British Dental Journal. 2013; 215: 29-34.
24. Tavares M, Stultz J, Newman M, Smith V, Kent R, Caprino E, Goodson JM. Light augments teeth whitening with peroxide. JADA. 2003; 134: 167-75.
25. Kriheli NI. Otbelivanie zubov i mikroabraziya emali v esteticheskoj stomatologii. Prakt. Medicina; 2008. 240 s. (Russian).
26. Hayward R, Osman Y, Glober SR. Aclinical study of the effectiveness of a light emitting diode systems on tooth bleaching. Open Dent J. 2012; 6: 143-7.
27. Dzheroen Verhejen, Piter Verhejen, Roland De Moor. Otbelivanie zubov: obzor vozmozhnyh segodnya variantov. Esteticheskaya stomatologiya. 2016; 3-4:138-43. (Russian).
28. Akulovich A. Klinicheskaya effektivnost' tekhnologii Philips Zoom! WhiteSpeed v professional'nom otbelivanii zubov. Esteticheskaya stomatologiya. 2016; 3-4: 76-82. (Russian).
29. Pavlenko SA, Pavlenko OV, Sidorova AІ, Tkachenko ІM. Porіvnyal'na harakteristika metodik domashn'ogo ta ofіsnogo vіdbіlyuvannya zubіv. Vіsnik problem bіologії і medicini. 2018;1(4): 146. (Ukrainian).
30. Kostenko SB, Gajnalіj AV. Monіtoring najbіl'sh populyarnih sistem dlya vіdbіlyuvannya zubіv v stomatologії. Materіali naukovo-praktichnoї konfe¬rencії z mіzhnarodnoyu uchastyu “Suchasnі problemi ortopedichnoї stomatologії” prisvyachenij 40-rіchchu vіdnovlennya kafedri ortopedichnoї stomatologії harkіvs'kogo nacіonal'nogo medichno¬go unіversitetu; Harkіv: 6-7 grudnya 2019 r, s. 69-71. (Ukrainian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.