REMINERALIZING THERAPY IN THE PROCESS OF TEETH WHITENING
Resume. Nowadays, aesthetics plays an important role in dentistry due to the increased attention of people to the beauty and attractiveness of the smile, which is known as an effective tool in achieving both personal and professional purposes. Therefore, the whitening of discolored teeth is one of the promising directions in aesthetic dentistry. To date, there is much controversy among dentists about the effectiveness and, the most importantly, the safety of teeth whitening. The prevention of dentin hypersensitivity is among the main tasks associated with the safe and comfortable treatment and follow-up period for patients. In order to avoid the negative consequences of hyperesthesia, the teeth whitening procedure should be finished with remineralizing therapy. Thought there are a large number of techniques and products for the treatment of hyperesthesia, the question of their most appropriate selection and combination is remaining unresolved and is relevant to meet the steadily growing population demands.
Purpose: to highlight the latest views on techniques and products for remineralizing therapy in the process of teeth whitening based on the analysis of relevant literature.
Results. Numerous bleaching methods are mainly based on applying high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide. At present, the safety of whitening methods remains controversial and thus requiring further research. The problem of improving techniques aimed at preventing the side effects of professional whitening on the oral tissues and organs are remaining relevant. The problems associated with professional whitening include the decreased resistance of hard dental tissues, the appearance of areas of demineralization and hyperesthesia in the hard dental tissues. At present, a wide range of products has been proposed to treat and prevent the development of teeth hypersensitivity. However, the most effective of them, which could be offered to patients after professional whitening have not been identified yet. To prevent and treat dental hyperesthesia effectively, fluoride-containing remineralizing remedies are widely used to diminish dentin sensitivity. There are studies demonstrating the highest incidence of teeth hyperesthesia during light catalytic and chemical bleaching Therapeutic and prophylactic agents, which contain calcium, phosphorus and fluoride ions, which promote dental enamel remineralization, have been proposed. The use of remineralizing gels before the procedure of medical teeth whitening reduces the occurrence of dental hyperesthesia. That is why many manufacturers of bleaching systems have begun to add desensitizing components to their composition. Thus, Opalescence Boost PF gel contains potassium nitrate and fluorine, Philips Zoom whitening gel contains amorphous calcium phosphate, in addition; remineralizing gel Relief ACP with amorphous calcium phosphate is offered to reduce the occurrence of teeth hypersensitivity during whitening procedure. The results of our research have shown the most significant changes expressed by a decrease in organic acids, maximum increase in concentrations of calcium ions in oral fluid, occur when using photo-bleaching system Beyond Polus, while minimal changes are observed when using chemical activation system Opalescence Xtra Boost. The combination of a reminalizign remedies based on zinc-substituted hydroxyapatite carbonate with laser phonophoresis can be recommended be apply after any bleaching techniques and they have been proved to be the most effective.
Conclusion. There is a wide range of techniques and products of remineralizing therapy applied in the process of teeth whitening. Various options of remineralizing therapy and applying different compounds reducing teeth sensitivity after teeth whitening procedure are described in the article. Many formulas have been already developed to ensure patient comfort after a whitening procedure, and in particular to prevent the development of hyperesthesia. Some manufacturers incorporate remineralizing remedies in the whitening system that allows dentists to solve the problem of teeth hypersensitivity effectively.
2. Goldberg М, Grootveld М, Lynch Е. Undesirable and adverse effects of tooth-whitening products: a review. Clin Oral Investig.2010 Feb;14(1):1-10.
3. Unlü, N & Kont Cobankara, Funda & Altinöz, C & Ozer, Fusun. Effect of home bleaching agents on the microhardness of human enamel and dentin. Journal of oral rehabilitation.2004;31:57-61.
4. Ralph H Leonard, Erica C N Teixeira, Glenn E Garland, André V Ritter. Effect on enamel microhardness of two consumer-available bleaching solutions when compared with a dentist-prescribed, home-applied bleaching solution and a control. Esthet Restor Dent.2005;17(6):343-50.
5. Shu-Tuan Yeh, Yu Su, Yo-Chin Lu, Sheng-Yang Lee. Surface changes and acid dissolution of enamel after carbamide peroxide bleach treatment. per Dent. Jul-Aug.2005;30(4):507-15.
6. White, Donald & Kozak, Kathleen & Zoladz, James & Duschner, Heinz & Götz, Hermann. Effects of Crest Whitestrips bleaching on subsurface microhardness and ultrastructure of tooth enamel and coronal dentin. American journal of dentistry.2004;17:5-11.
7. Viscio D, Gaffar A, Fakhry-Smith S, Xu T. Present and future technologies of tooth whitening. Compend Contin Educ Dent Suppl. 2000;(28):36-43; quiz 49s.
8. Bondarik EA. Bezopasnost' i effektivnost' otbelivaniya zubov. Medicinskiĭ zhurnal.2010;2(32):4–12. (Russian).
9. Kriheli NI, Frolova OA. Vliyanie preparatov dlya professional'nogo otbelivaniya na strukturu postoyannyh zubov cheloveka. Rossiĭskaya stomatologiya.2012;5(4):3–6. (Russian).
10. Suhanova OYU. Narusheniya mineral'nogo sostava i aktivnosti superoksiddismutazy v rotovoĭ zhidkosti u pacientov pri provedenii domashnego otbelivaniya zubov i puti ih korrekcii. Avtoref. dis. ... kand. med. nauk. Novosibirsk;2007.19 s.Pretty IA, Ellwood RP, Brunton PA, Aminian A. Vital tooth bleaching in dental practice: 1. Professional bleaching. Dent Update.2006;33(5):288–304. (Russian).
11. Pretty IA, Ellwood RP, Brunton PA, Aminian A. Vital tooth bleaching in dental practice: 1. Professional bleaching. Dent Update.2006;33(5):288–304.
12. Goldberg M, Kulkarni AB, Young M, Boskey A. Dentin structure composition and mineralization. Front Biosci.2011;E3(2):711–35.
13. Belenova IA, Andreeva EV, Kunina NT. Povyshenie effektivnosti lecheniya giperestezii zubov posle professional'nogo otbelivaniya. Vestnik novyh medicinskih tekhnologiĭ.2013;20(2):98–101. (Russian).
14. Kriheli NI. Effektivnost' kompleksa lechebno- profilakticheskih meropriyatiĭ, razrabotannyh dlya pacientov s depul'pirovannymi zubami. Kliniches¬kaya stomatologiya.2008;1:24–6. (Russian).
15. CHirkova NV. Profilaktika giperestezii zubov pri lechenii diskoloritov vital'nyh zubov. Sistemnyĭ analiz i upravlenie v biomedicinskih sistemah. 2017;16(3):586-9.Moiseeva NS. The use LED radiation in prevention of dental diseases. The EPMA Jornal.2016;7(1):24. (Russian).
16. Moiseeva NS. The use LED radiation in prevention of dental diseases. The EPMA Jornal.2016;7(1):24.
17. Chirkova NV. Analiz opredeleniya chastoty, etiologii, patogeneza diskolorita zubov Sistemnyĭ analiz i upravlenie v biomedicinskih sistemah.2017;16(3):509-12. (Russian).
18. Chirkova NV. Sravnitel'nyĭ analiz effektivnosti provedeniya remineralizuyushcheĭ terapii posle provedeniya professional'nogo otbelivaniya zubov. Zdorov'e i obrazovanie v XXI veke.2018;20(3)35-40. (Russian).
19. Kriheli NI, Bichikaeva ZA. Effektivnost' kompleksa profilakticheskih meropriyatiĭ s ispol'zovaniem zubnoĭ pasty SPLAT «Biokal'ciĭ» posle otbelivaniya devital'nyh zubov s aktivirovacieĭ ozonom. Medicinskiĭ alfavit.2015;1(1):41-4. (Russian).
20. Bogatyreva YUA. Obosnovanie provedeniya profilakticheskih meropriyatiĭ posle professional'no¬go otbelivaniya zubov. Vestnik novyh medicinskih tekhnologiĭ [Elektronnyĭ zhurnal].2017;11(4):182-5. (Russian).
21. Smolina AA. Preventivnye meropriyatiya dlya predotvrashcheniya karioznyh porazheniĭ. Sbornik nauchnyh trudov po itogam konferencii: II International Scientific Conference «General question of world science», 31 July –Amsterdam.2017:12. (Russian)/
22. Chirkova NV. Aspekty vliyaniya professional'nogo otbelivaniya na tverdye i myagkie tkani polosti. Medicus international medical journal.2017;4(16):60-70. (Russian).
23. Chirkova NV. Kompleksnaya profilaktika giperestezii zubov preparatami «Sensident» i «Flyuorofil bescvetnyĭ» Nauchno-medicinskiĭ vestnik. Central'nogo CHernozem'ya.2017;69:129-32.Kunin A, Belenova I. Our experience in prophylaxis of recurrence (sec- ond) caries. Papers of the 3rd Pan- European Dental Congress, 9-11 dec. 2009;30-1. (Russian).
24. Kunin A, Belenova I. Our experience in prophylaxis of recurrence (sec- ond) caries. Papers of the 3rd Pan- European Dental Congress, 9-11 dec. 2009;30-1.
25. Gil'miyarova FN, Magosumova OA. Sravnitel'naya ocenka vliyaniya sistem ofisnogo otbelivaniya na vozniknovenie giperestezii zubov. Klinicheskaya medicina. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo centra Rossijskoj akademii nauk.2015;5(3):743–7. (Russian).
26. Ryabokon' EN, i dr. Sredstva gigieny polosti rta i ih vliyanie na kariesrezistentnost' emali zubov. Stomatolog. Info.2009;6:46-51. (Russian).
27. Chirkova NV, i dr. Sravnitel'nyĭ analiz effektivnosti provedeniya remineralizuyushcheĭ terapii posle provedeniya professional'nogo otbelivaniya zubov. Zdorov'e i obrazovanie v XXI veke.2018;20(3):35-40. (Russian).
28. Deepak Mehta, Suresh Venkata, Meena Naganath, Usha LingaReddy, Hiroshi Ishihata, Werner J Finger. Clinical trial of tooth desensitization prior to in-office bleaching. Eur J Oral Sci.2013 Oct;121(5):477-81.
29. Ganicheva OV, SHevchenko EA, Uspenskaya OA. Otbelivanie zubov s posleduyushcheĭ reminerali¬ziruyushcheĭ terapieĭ: sravnitel'naya harakteristika otbelivayushchih sistem i sredstv remineralizacii. Klinicheskaya medicina. STM.2018;10(2):146-50. (Russian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.